Friday, April 20, 2012

sweet summers of bliss


The air was like honey dripping slowly that summer when I fell madly in love with him for the first time. We were opposite in every single way. But dear Lord, he knew exactly how to show a girl a good time. It was a wild ride of only high peeks. Holding on for dear life I straddled the experience not knowing where the next day would lead.

It was the summer that my heart floated somewhere between long coastal grasses and unsalted air. We gazed upon inky evenings lit with stars on vast waters that have stood the test of time. We poured our hearts into each other with words unsaid, melting together in passion on sands that sighed.

During the daytime golden sunshine filtered through full verdant leaves; kissing our skin; kissing our souls with light. I felt as if I was on a high brought on by honest love. I was hungry for more. What was once a parched, sparse dry field of broken relationships, had become a lush lawn watered with seeds of something real and true.

Two years later he asked me to be his wife in a way that was unique to him- to us. During our engagement we found out that birth control, even when taken exactly how it should, is a joke. From the first day that I carried my son under my heart I knew he would be a boy. I knew his name, I knew that his life was meant to be. He was born during one of the hottest July's on record and he came on the day that we were to sign papers for our new home. Breathing in new flesh of my own flesh; a new high. A new hunger for something that only I could give. A new cliff to stand on top of, with life in throat, ready to scream about the greatest treasure of all- love.

We were complete. I was swimming great lakes of honesty, great lakes of incontrovertible devotion. That summer my soul was wrapped up in a tiny gift that was so all encompassing and so perfect that I could barely even blink in fear that I would miss one second of this miracle.

Two summers later our second son was born into this world like a light switch. I went from having contractions for a whole month to click light-flip-switch-boom here comes baby number two. Another boy, another summer, another love to last a lifetime. My life was enriched with blessings that I could hear, smell, feel, touch, and see with my very own eyes. Overcome with grace from above, hot tears of thanksgiving, I fell even more in love than I had before.

It has been eleven years. I'm still in love with the same man that stole my heart under a full moon in honeyed heat. I have fallen in love with him many times and in many ways. He lights my way with his ambition. I am the calm to his storm and we are a strong rooted oak tree in the setting sun. We are a family of ups and downs, highs and lows, but always- always together twisting in breezes that blow gentle in summer's sweet bliss.

Alita- Alita Jewel's Treasures

the good earth
the good earth by Laurarama
______________________________________________

Thank you Alita for guest musing with us today. If you'd like to know more about Alita, be sure to visit her at Alita Jewel's Treasures.  If you are interested in a future guest muse role, please email us at mortalmuses9 [at] gmail [dot] com.

8 comments:

Simon said...

Laurarama takes some of the most beautiful photos....this is no exception.
Sweet words to match

Alita said...

Thank you for the kind words about the written piece. The first picture I took during an golden evening. The second picture, by Laramara, I choose because it is so lovely in every single way. It echoes my own taste in photography and matched with all four senses perfectly.

Alita

Kirstin said...

I loved the way you described each of the senses here, Alita. Absolutely stunning! Thank you so much for musing with us.

Alita said...

Thank you, Kirstin. I enjoyed writing this piece. And there were so many inspirational pictures to gaze upon in the flickr stream, too.

Hyacynth said...

So beautiful, Alita! I love the flow here!

Alita said...

Thank you, Hy! I had fun writing it.

Holly ~ Soupatraveler said...

I love your story, so beautiful and so descriptive! you certainly have a way with words! Thanks so much for "musing" on the 5 Senses!

Mrs. Weber said...

Alita, this is AMAZING...You are one lucky lady to have all that love and I'm glad you don't take it for granted :)

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting. take a moment and say hi!