Wednesday, February 22, 2012

seascape



Many years ago, I went to an exhibition of photography by Hiroshi Sugimoto at the Serpentine Gallery in London, a small but beautiful space of just a few rooms where his peaceful seascapes had been hung. He had taken them all over the world and at different times of the day, but there was a universality in the images. Each showed the sea and yet by showing them in this way, he was able to say so much more about the mystery of water and the nature of time. His point was that the sea looks just the same today as it did 5,000 years ago, or 50m years ago. The meeting of water and sky is a scene untouched by time.

So whenever I look at the sea and sky through my viewfinder, I realise I am seeing the same ancient horizon. On a recent cold morning, as I put the Rollei down on the beach to reach for my light meter, I glimpsed the shimmering sun on the water. I was struck dumb as the sun came out from behind a cloud, glowing over the sea which had been so dark just a few seconds before.

Kelly's seascape is also a timeless scene. Can't you just feel the sand between your toes and hear the crashing waves, just as people have for thousands of years?

kirstin of fleeting moments

ocean wash

ocean wash by kelly*green

17 comments:

Suzi said...

Such an inspiring post. Thank you x

Stjernesol said...

oh... love this!

kelly said...

Kirstin, what a dreamy and captivating photo...thank you for including mine in your post!

christina said...

this is so very beautiful.
xo

Anna said...

Hi Kirstin,
Lovely post! I can relate to the timeless enchantment of water and sky. Beautiful images today!
Thanks for introducing us to Hiroshi's work. I find the minimalism and the equal space division of sea and sky in his pieces fascinating.

Lisa said...

Love everything about this and your words. They are so true.
Thank you!!

Staci Kennelly said...

So beautiful. Your words are so deep and thoughtful.

Simon said...

A wonderful thought and 2 images to capture the mystery of the ocean. I never tire of being near it and miss it when I'm away for too long.

urban muser said...

i love everything about this post. you make such a good point about the timelessness of these scenes. one of the few things that is not rapidly changing around us.

Unknown said...

Beautiful images. I love how your photographic and processing style is so very much your own. The ocean terrifies me in an awesome (in the true sense of that word) way. I have theories about why, and the timelessness is one of them.

Holly ~ Soupatraveler said...

i can feel it! and now you've introduced me to another photographer! Thank you kirstin!!!

seabluelee said...

I love and live for the ocean (who would have guessed?). These images are both timeless and beautiful.

Gilly said...

I'd forgotten about Hiroshi Sugimoto - thanks for reminding me! The sea always seems like the one thing that will never change; if you saw The Road, which was about a post-apocalyptic world in which everything was miserable, desolate and grey, the scene at the end when they reached the sea was the only point in the film at which you felt some hope for the future.

damiec said...

I adore the sea, the tones in this images that I have come to think of as your signatures blues browns and grays, and when you go meta on us and take an image of an image.

mosey (kim) said...

This is making me itch to get my little Argoflex off its dusty shelf. Just love LOVE your photo, Miss Kirstin.

Anika said...

Great post! Love the thoughts and the images, both so beautiful.

Unknown said...

I second what damiec wrote about your signature look those rocks embody all the colors I see through your lens. Beautiful post.

I'm inspired to revisit the sea.

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting. take a moment and say hi!