Wednesday, September 14, 2011

strangers project



Faces.
That's what catches you first…a face.
Maybe its the hairdo that sells it or the outfit that convinces you to muster the courage, but its always the face that gets me first when seeking strangers for my 100 Strangers Project.

And that's just the surface, because once you take your photo of that face, you inevitably learn what is behind that look that drew you in. A strangers project starts as just a collection of faces, and becomes a collection of stories, lives, sometimes even friends. Once the photo is taken and both your nerves and theirs subside, you can relax and get to chatting. Emily (my 2nd stranger, above) and I still keep in touch!

I didn't come across too many strangers when looking through the muses pool to select my photo for this post, so this is your challenge. Go out and ask a perfect stranger if you can take their photo! See how many you can get. I know a lot of you have been thinking about starting a strangers project, so this is me, daring you to do it! What you'll get from doing it will outweigh any of your fears: confidence, practice with shooting under pressure (what better way to improve your skills and dexterity than to practice on a stranger), exposure for your photography, and some new friends! Here is the formal website for the project if you are interested, but you certainly don't have to join them to start this project.

While I didn't see too many strangers in the pool, I did see this li'l guy, from Skiingrn1, with whom I'd hope to become fast friends, too, if we were ever to cross paths! What a good use of negative space as well! And such a cutie!

Good luck!
Cara, of CaraRosePhotos



seal, tracy arm, alaska by skiingrn1

9 comments:

Kat Sloma said...

Lovely idea! That is so cool that you and Emily keep in touch. You are strangers until you take their photo and chat a bit, then you are friends. Love the seal too. :)

Chelsea said...

I came across this project a year ago and thought it was such a cool idea! I wanted to do it so bad but was not at all comfortable enough. It still really intimidates me to approach strangers for photographs, but it is a skill I want to improve...so maybe I should practice! Great shots!

Gilly said...

I really like this idea, but I'm not sure I have the courage to approach a complete stranger although I'm sure the day will eventually come when I do. A lovely post, and a challenging one! And the seal photo is great - he's soooooo cute.

urban muser said...

cara, i love this! i never ask permission when i shoot on the street but i made a promise to myself that i would ask a stranger if i can take their picture by the end of the year! (i'd better hurry up)

esra said...

Great post, Cara. I love the idea of 100 strangers project.I thought about starting it but I just cannot do it.I feel intimidated about asking people about it. I'm trying to get over it. Maybe one day... Great shots...

Holly ~ Soupatraveler said...

Love this Cara! I've been enjoying your 100 strangers since you got started. You have a way of pulling that personality out! Love that seal...so cute!

Brenda H aka skiingrn1 said...

I find it very difficult to photograph strangers - almost as if I'm invading their privacy. Yet, when I look back at the shots I've taken over the years, some of my favorites are of strangers doing various activities. Thank you for reminding me to push myself and for musing on my seal photo.

christina said...

Cara this is a great post! You inspire me to be brave! I just love the personality of the first photo. And the seal is heart warming.
XO

Kirstin said...

Cara, I love this post. 100 strangers sounds like an amazing project. I am inspired!

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting. take a moment and say hi!