Tuesday, April 10, 2012

i am a crafter


There really is nothing more relaxing for me, than crafting. The movement of my hands, the working towards finishing a project. I dry flowers in books, paint in my journals, and although I'm not great at sewing, I have made a tablecloth, by sewing in a straight line. : ) Crafting is something I don't rush to get through, it's kind of my time, to diddle daddle in what I love. I create to take my mind off of the daily stress, the anxiety that I allow all too often to find me.
I literally have been knitting a blanket, for two winters now, with all the leftover yarn scraps I have. I don't mind if it takes me three more seasons to finish, the time I spend on it, relaxes me. My handbag is always filled with things to help me create; markers, knitting needles, journal. 
I pulled out my knitting once, while waiting in a doctors office, and a woman leaned over and taught me how to do a pearl stitch. I seriously will never forget that strangers kindness. When I saw ania's photo titled "winter nights"... it was all love. The wooden bowl, the yarn. The photo had a vintage feel, and reminded me that crafting isn't just for me, it is meant to be shared with generations, and people you meet here and there. 

Warmly, 
Christina {soul aperture}

winter nights...

winter nights by ania

13 comments:

The F Girl said...

That winter nights shot is breathtakingly beautiful indeed. THere is just something about it, something calm and rustic. lovely!

I admire you, with the ability to not rush the crafting. I fall into some kind of perfectionistic trap every time again when crafting, even though I really just want to enjoy the time being creative. Thank you for reminding me of what it really is about: the process and enjoying that.

Anne said...

I'm not good with my hands and envy those who can create something so beautiful from something that was utterly nothing in the beginning.

Anna said...

It is definitely one of life's joys when the work of the hands, mind, and heart come together as one! Such a wonderful mood is conveyed in these images. Thanks Christina!

Unknown said...

Love, love, love this post! Crafts are very important to me too, although I let stress get in the way all too often. I admire that you always make time for it.

P.S. Sewing in a straight line is the hardest part sometimes:)

amanda {the habit of being} said...

crafting is such an important thing. it's calms my spirit and yet gives me energy. love the idea of the blanket from scraps.

Lori said...

Love this! There is such comfort in meeting people to share the creative process with. You will always remember that woman who taught you pearl stitch for her kindness. I appreciate you share your gift with us.

diane said...

Hi,
My name is Diane and I'm a craftaholic!
I get so easily addicted to each new craft that I discover .... I should be banned from the craft stores!!!! LOL
Love this!

Unknown said...

I wanna take pictures like this when I grow up!!! (swoon)

Kirstin said...

Oh how wonderful, Christina! I am slowly learning the power of crafting and learnt to use a sewing machine and knit this past winter. I still have to work sewing a straight line, though!

Unknown said...

Beautiful photos Christina, I love that gray yarn!

xo Mary Jo

Meghan @ Life Refocused said...

I love both of these photos. I have learned to knit, but never seem able to stick with it. I would like to get better. Thanks for the reminder!

Holly ~ Soupatraveler said...

i used to scrapbook up a storm in my younger days, i find i'm getting back to it now and again in my travel journal :) love your pairing! they go hand-in-hand!

urban muser said...

a cozy and gorgeous post christina! you're inspiring me to pick up my knitting needles...it's been months (and months)...

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting. take a moment and say hi!