Thursday, November 4, 2010

better to light a candle

by candlelight

I used to be afraid of the dark.  My mother would send me out after supper to put my bike away or bring the clothes in off the line, and I remember running back to the house as fast as my feet would carry me, certain that there was some unseen monster in fast pursuit. 

But now I see the beauty in the dark of night, and find it rich and mysterious.  After we turn our clocks back this weekend, it will be dark by the time I head home from work, and I find something comforting about that change in the rhythm of the seasons.   I can come home, light some candles, start supper, and be embraced by the late-fall night.  As the saying goes, "it is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Literally and figuratively.

Ashleymariephotos' image of the Miami skyline at night reminds me of a magical kingdom appearing in the distance, over the vast expanse of black ocean against the night sky.  The offset angle, hazy cloud, and soft reflection enhances the lure of the glittering lights.  If Atlantis could rise up from the ocean depths one night, it might look just like this.  So beautiful.

Until next time.

lucy @ a little light reading

it makes for happy endings
it makes for happy endings by ashleymariephotos

6 comments:

mosey (kim) said...

Oh my gosh, you took me right back to belting up the stairs from the basement three steps at a time to escape the monsters. :)
What an exquisite pairing you chose, Lucy. Both subtle and beautifully toned.

Lisa said...

You broght back memories.. Love Love the top image. Stunning light.

GailO said...

When I was a child I used to hate it when it was my turn to take out the trash...I was sure something was coming out of the woods to get me! I blame it all on watching the Boris Karloff movie "The Mummy"! Now I kind of dread the early darkness...and kind of relish it too. I think I am going to go buy some candles today:)

Holly { Soupatraveler } said...

beautiful reflections!

Chelsea said...

Both are great photos and they pair so well together. Night photography is one of my favorites, I still have not mastered the skill but hope to practice more!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for choosing my photo I am so glad you like it, I am honored that you chose it
--Ashleymariephotos :)

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting. take a moment and say hi!