Wednesday, January 19, 2011

double trouble


Photographing animals can sometimes be a challenge---they run away, look away or move at the most inappropriate moments.  For an extra degree of difficulty, try adding a second animal to the mix.  If you can get them both to stay still long enough for you to click your shutter... congratulations, you win the prize.

I love this photo below from alphabet soup studio.  In her description she writes that Gizmo and Terra "were great buddies."  I cannot say the same for my two animals pictured above.  Although they mutually exist in our small apartment with no problems, the reality is that the less than 8 pound cat, Tilla (short for Tortilla), is the boss of our 85 pound dog, Willow.  No bones about it.  Willow will go out of her way to keep a certain distance between them. If they pass in the hallway, Willow will press her huge hairy body up against the wall and slither past the cat with her head turned away.  It's quite a sight to behold.

They mostly stay out of each other's way, sleeping the days away on opposite sides of the TV room.  But there are those rare  moments when the cat will curl up on the top part of the couch just above Willow's big head, allowing me to grab my iPhone and capture the elusive prize.

~christy of urban muser

gizmo and terra
gizmo and terra by alphabet soup studio

12 comments:

Joanna said...

These are two very cute photos, but very different. You can see that Willow is somewhat anxious about the proximity of the cat. Whereas in the bottom photo the two animals look very relaxed.

Clare B said...

I was wondering how you'd managed to get them to sit so close together - was thinking it must be a pretty good bribe. What did Tilla do to Willow to make him so scared?

Becky Sue said...

I just love the face of that old soul in the second photo. Reminds me of our old soul that we lost last year. sniff.

jennifée said...

These images are both so very beautiful and cute - thanks for sharing with us.

urban muser said...

Clare--
Tilla never really did anything to make the dog scared. We all moved in together into one place about 3 years ago, and the dog is just a gentle giant who minds her boundaries. I think the cat just sends out a vibe (you cat people will know what I mean!)

Anna said...

Great photos that reveal the pet's relationships. I love B&W!

Ashley Sisk said...

Cats and dogs are so funny together. My cat used to live at my parents house with 2 dogs and another cat. She did not like it AT ALL. But I know that cats and dogs can live in harmony together just fine. I love both photos.

me again said...

Thank you so much for featuring my photograph of Gizmo and Terra. We got Terra, as a puppy, when Gizmo was still a kitten, so I think that had a lot to do with their easy acceptance of eachother. Gizmo is NOT so accepting of our current dog, Tippi (today is Tippi's 2nd birthday!) -- yup, he is sending out that "cat vibe" to Tippi! We will always miss Terra; she was one of those special pets that maybe you have once in a lifetime.
Thanks again for choosing my photo; you really made my day!
==lennie==
alphabet soup studio

Anika said...

Well I guess this answers my question about if they ever snuggle together. That amount of cute should be illegal. ;)

blue elephant photography said...

poor willow. they seem to know their places and who's the boss kinda deal. these photos are cute!

Maureen said...

ha! That same scene has played out at our house. My dog would literally turn his head away if the cat walked by. And once in awhile the cat would reach out and slap him for good measure. Buddy is a sweetheart and would just keep his head turned and take it. On rare occassins they would share a patch of sunlight on the carpet for their morning map, not touching, and turned away from each other.
Perfect pairing of photos.

Kirstin said...

Oh well done both of you on capturing your gorgeous pets together.

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting. take a moment and say hi!