Thursday, August 18, 2011

the sum of the parts



Light and dark. Black and white. Line and curve. Shadow and highlight.
Two.
Two elements may be all it takes to make a great photo. Often it is two contrasting elements. I think that may be something we were hoping to illuminate in our theme of 'two' and if it wasn't the intent, it certainly is what I got to thinking about.

Two.
Two cameras. What I almost always carry with me...a film camera and a digital camera (I'll be the first in line the day they can put both in ONE camera!). Because what I also started thinking about were the two photographic mediums: analog and digital. First love and recent friend, respectively. And often when I shoot film, and I don't have as many chances to get the shot just right, I find myself narrowing it down to those simpler elements. In the photo above, it was light and lines, but other pairs of key elements were also serendipitously present!

The shot by DorteF clearly shows several of those simple pairs as well. Which ones stand out most to you? Call me a dork, but I love photographic analysis and discussions like this that help us all learn!

So nice to meet you all! ~cara, cararosephotos

painted doors ....
painted doors by dortef

11 comments:

Unknown said...

You will be the first in line for digital plus film? I will see you in line ; )

Gilly said...

Interesting post, Cara - I like these kind of discussions too. I've never used film myself, but would like to one day when I have the space to do my own developing. I love both of these pictures - they're very different, but equally lovely.

urban muser said...

i love how this theme got you thinking about all this. great post!

Ashley Sisk said...

How thought-provoking - I really like that.

Chelsea said...

Very nice take on the theme, I love it! Great post

christina said...

hi cara!
i do adore this post.
xo

Kirstin said...

Such a wonderfully thoughtful post, Cara. Thank you. x

Holly ~ Soupatraveler said...

Great job Cara! And I know how much you love to dig deep into photography...so glad to see you bringing the discussing over here! Love both the shots for different reasons, but love how both draw me in with the same elements. Awesome!

Dorte said...

very nice post ... i mainly thought of the theme as pairs, but i like the idea of contrasts :)

jordan said...

great post, Cara!

Kat Sloma said...

I love this kind of discussion Cara! It makes things so much more interesting to think about the "why" along with the "how." So nice to find this out about you!

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting. take a moment and say hi!