Thursday, August 25, 2011

not filling the void

I love negative space I really do, there is something so soothing about it. The void helps to direct my attention giving it just the right amount focal command. The juxtaposition between form and space can be a beautifully captured as light and dark, colorful and neutral or stark and opulent, the combinations are endless just like the negative space that surrounds them.

I took the photo above on a recent trip to a region in Southern California called Temecula. Just 75 miles north of Mexico, the area is unique in that its arid, almost desert like in the summer time, yet draws in the cool coastal air of the Pacific. Perfect conditions for growing grapes. This time of year the vineyards are approaching crush season with dark purple fruits hanging low off the vine. The contrast to the dusty crop dirt provided the perfect canvas to celebrate such colorful fruitful crops.

Looking through the Mortal Muse group I had a hard time choosing, all the negative space in the pool was drawing me in. I came upon Cathy 423 and her lovely photo of the delicate new shoot rising up among the rocks and moss. Its two leaves immediately alerted me to our last them two but it completely says negative space for me with that dark grey background. I love the contrast of light and dark in the bright green leaves against the abyss like background. Well done.

Lindsey of the modchik
untitled by Cathy 423

9 comments:

Valeria said...

Amazing photos. I have been trying and playing a lot with negative space. i love it

Ashley Sisk said...

Beautiful post - love the pairing.

christina said...

i love the gentleness of these.
xo

JennOvey said...

Both are just gorgeous!

Lisa said...

Both photos are nice, but I really love the second one!

Holly ~ Soupatraveler said...

these shots complement each other perfectly and are super soothing too! i love your description of negative space too...you nailed it!

GailO said...

Yes that large void just makes what is within all the more enticing and important...lovely shots of growth!

Unknown said...

A great shot. It really holds it's own beauty.

Kirstin said...

My, how these pictures are a perfect pairing. And what lovely words too.

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting. take a moment and say hi!