Wednesday, June 8, 2011

round hole square peg

my sunshine

My daughter has a tendency to run in the opposite direction when either I or my husband raise our cameras.  We have a lot of photos of her with disgruntled expressions, or of the back of her head.  So when she does deign to accommodate us, we take full advantage.  Her patience has limits however - the photo above was at the tail end of a shoot I did with her recently after she heaved a big sigh and said "Are we done yet?".

It made me chuckle to read Jamie's comment about the expressions she sometimes gets from her subject, and I know we're not alone since I see many photos of photographers' kids who are obviously just biding their time until they can run and do something more interesting.  Or demand satisfaction for the bribes they've been offered to pose.

I found it somewhat perplexing shooting portraits in square format, which explains my subject line - the struggle to fit one shape into a different one.  I loved the composition of Jamie's shot, and of so many others in the pool this week.  You all made it enormously difficult to pick just one photo!

cheers,
kim (mosey) of mosey along

pigtailed and stoic
pigtailed and stoic by jamie {74}

__________________________________

We have a winner! 
Sheila Hughes is the winner of The Slice of Life e-course starting July 11th.
You can claim your prize by contacting Darrah directly at Darrah (at) DarrrahParker.com.
Didn't win? There is still plenty of time to sign up.

8 comments:

Megan Belcher said...

I love the light... beautiful shots and children!

Maureen said...

I love both portraits, love the bokeh background
perfect pairing.

Rebecca Lewis said...

Oh how I understand ~ I would love to have more photos of my kids but now that they are at the age where they have a better social life than I do, they are much happier to say "Bye Mom" and run out the door before I can con them into a sitting! :-)
Gorgeous images.
Congrats to Sheila!

urban muser said...

these are both stunning portraits. i love your description of the begging and bribes!

Christy said...

Totally understand - MOST of our pictures of the back or side of the head! Great photo of sweet pea! Gorgeous!

Kat Sloma said...

Oh, how do I identify... My son was tired of me taking pictures years ago. It's a rare moment we connect through the camera any more, I miss it.

Kirstin said...

What utterly gorgeous portraits. Perfectly square.

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Two gorgeous little girls. Love the light in both shots and their sweet expressions.

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting. take a moment and say hi!