Thursday, April 7, 2011

disappearing railroad blues

RR_1 copy



When I didn't have any thing in mind to shoot for this prompt a friend commented that the best transportation photo is a train, and they are plentiful in my area. Off I went in search of a train.

As I walked along the tracks, looking for a shot, an old song began to play in my head. Many of you are probably too young to have heard it, written by Steve Goodman, recorded in 1972 by Arlo Guthrie, it's considered by many to be the best train song ever written.
Good morning, America, how are you
Don't you know me, I'm your native son
I'm the train they call The City of New Orleans
I'll be gone five hundred miles when the day is done

. . . And the steel rails still ain't heard the news
The conductor sings his song again
The passengers will please refrain
This train's got the disappearing railroad blues
And it's been in my head all week. You can join me and listen to it here.

I love Deirdre's photo, so full of the motion and power of a train. And as she commented, it's not an easy moment to capture. I think she did a wonderful job of it.

xo maureen from Cottage 960

snow train
snow train by SuperDewa

9 comments:

Christine said...

Great shot!

urban muser said...

awesome shots! i can really feel the movement.

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

I love the old west feel yours has Maureen. The motion in Deirdre's is amazing. Feels like you're right there!

Ashley Sisk said...

Really wonderful reflection and nice pairing. I love both shots.

mosey (kim) said...

Fantastic shots, both of them. Deirdre's has almost a tilt-shift feel to it...

Anna said...

This is a wonderful pairing of images! It gives two very different but effective views of a subject that I haven't seen much of.

Jamie said...

These are amazing shots - off to listen to the song - I don't remember the lyrics

Linda said...

wow these are really great!!!

Kirstin said...

These are both such wonderful pictures! So very epic!

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting. take a moment and say hi!