Monday, February 21, 2011

night time in the city


I live in a small town, but I'm located very close to a 'big' city. Not that St Louis compares to the 24/7 hustle and bustle of New York or other large cities. But St. Louis does offer world class music and theater performances. The Fabulous Fox Theater and Powell Symphony Hall are on the same street just a block apart. I always get excited when I have tickets to a performance at either venue and look forward to the energy of the evening; the marquees and the streets lit up at night, theater goers dressed up for the special occasion rushing through the traffic, the buzz of excited patrons inside the lobby as they grab a playbill and make their way to their seats.

When I saw Lenore's photo it reminded me of that little rush of excitement in anticipation of an evening's performance.

xo maureen from Cottage 960
 
downtown
downtown by alphabet soup studio

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I saw that top photo I thought it was Atlanta because we, too, have a "Fabulous Fox" Theater with the same marquee.

Unknown said...

This is a great shot! I particularly love the processing. I took a similar shot last year and was lucky enough to be at eye level with the sign. http://www.flickr.com/photos/barilynn/4296967546/in/set-72157622993260913/ I love this Chicago icon!

Simon said...

Night lights are such fun. Nice capture.

Ashley Sisk said...

I love the nighttime lights of your photo Maureen...and your pairing is gorgeous - both photos have so much color!

me again said...

Thanks so much for the selection!
:-)

I have been to Chicago only the one time, April 2010, and was mesmerized by it; it's such an amazing city with outstanding architecture and something to photograph every step of the way! I went specifically to see the William Eggleston exhibit that was on at the Art Institute (it was fantastic, very inspiring for me) and so didn't have a lot of time to see much of Chicago though. Can't wait to go back!

And St. Louis ........ I would love to visit that city!

Thanks again, Maureen :-)

Stephanie said...

Fantastic! I LOVE the texture added to the Chicago photo. Makes me miss the Windy City (lived there for 7 years). :)

Justine said...

these are such great shots, love the vibrancy of both of them

Anna said...

Wonderful captures of the city! Living in a very small town, I can totally relate to the excitement of going to the city and soaking up the culture that is offered - love museums!!!!

ELK said...

hello .. the city has its own energy no matter where..love these contrasting shots maureen~

GailO said...

City scapes make beautiful photos...day or night....Love both of these..

Jamie said...

Oh, man these both make me miss city life.

urban muser said...

these are great. they make me want to head out to the theater too. (which i don't do nearly enough)

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

It does remind me of the old Fox Theater in Atlanta! Gosh I miss that city. I don't have much of a city around here. So sad!

Kirstin said...

Oh yes. Bright lights. Big City! Perfect combination.

Tammy Lee Bradley said...

Love these! That Chicago sign is fantastic.

Kat Sloma said...

I love the theater marquees! Both are so wonderful.

Suki said...

So cool. How I wish to visit you in Saint Louis one day.

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting. take a moment and say hi!