Sunday, September 19, 2010

golden days

swings

Growing up in eastern Canada, school never started til after Labour Day weekend (the first weekend in September for our non-North American muses).  So that last weekend of vacation was our chance to cling to summer before retreating inside to desks and books until spring.  But I loved the change of season.  Summers were hot and humid where I grew up and autumn was all golden light and crisp, clear blue skies and crunchy leaves beneath my feet.  And although I embraced the transition, there was always that delicious sense of melancholy as one season ended and another began.

The days grow shorter and an after school visit to the park with my daughter resulted in just a few moments of sunshine before the sun dipped behind the trees, where a few weeks before it would have stayed bright until past dinnertime.  The swings and monkey bars quiet.

Sam's image of laundry hanging outside to dry evoked the same feeling for me - clothes sun-bleached and fragrant in the last days of summer as she "looks out on a world still green, but fading, rusting, muting much too fast."

Welcome, golden light of autumn.

cheers,
mosey

September Days
september days by sam brightwell

12 comments:

Kirstin said...

Such gorgeous light in both of these pictures. And beautiful words...

Kat Sloma said...

I love the simple images of the laundry and the empty swing, both capture the essence of your words perfectly.

Sam Brightwell said...

Thank you so much for choosing my image - happy to be included in this post today. Loving your photo of the swing seat too. It completely captures the Autumn Feeling for me.
Bright Blessings.

Tammy Lee Bradley said...

Such beautiful photos and words. Perfect for reflection on a relatively cool day here in Florida. xo

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

as a fellow Canadian, i am entirely familiar with your description with many memories of those summer to autumn transitions ..
the photo capture is telling ~
thank you for posting!

michel said...

oh kim I really love your image. the depth of field is amazing. brings me back through so many memories. great pair. nice post love

Carola Bartz said...

Your words describe tha change of the season beautifully, and the two pictures are just wonderful!!!

Maureen said...

oh my your shot is so beautiful, the light and the DoF, just wonderful. and you said exactly how i feel about the coming of fall "delicious sense of melancholy as one season ended and another began"
lovely post.

Jamie said...

Such warm beautiful light!

April said...

The light is beautiful in each! Lovely pairing :)

Suki said...

beautiful images.

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

My summers in the Midwest were similar to yours. I've always loved autumn, but I'm not quite ready to say goodbye to summer tomatoes. Lovely image. I feel a bit of melancholy in it, beautiful melancholy.

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting. take a moment and say hi!