Tuesday, August 24, 2010

it's a marvelous night for a moondance

Night photography can be challenging -- but also a great opportunity to fiddle with all the settings on your camera.  When this black and white challenge was announced, I thought it would be a perfect chance to shoot some night images and hone my skills at the same time.  I wanted to try to capture black and white without actually switching to black and white mode.

My shot was taken at Craigville Beach here on Cape Cod, when the moon was 3/4 full and the water was calm and still.  I set the camera on the roof of my car, adjusted the shutter speed, ISO, and aperture, and took about 10 shots.  I like the calm glow of the moon in the water.  Of course you'll notice that my black and white experiment wasn't completely successful -- out along the horizon one green beacon shines brightly.  Let's call it accidental selective colorization. :)


The photo below, Selkirk, MB - Midway at Night by kim/jaren/brooklyn, is a wonderful example of the power of the black and white night image.  (By the way, Kim/Jaren/Brooklyn is a mother/son/daughter team who share a flickr account - how cool is that?)  They took some daytime shots of the fair, too, which are full of color and energy.  But what I like so much about this night shot is that the black and white accentuates the giddy carnival atmosphere while also hinting at the darker side. Together their fair photos express the yin/yang of summer fun.


Next time you're out at night, try finding opportunities to capture black and white.  Then share some of them in our Everyday Beauty (or should I say, Everynight Beauty) flickr pool.

Until next time.

-lucy

12 comments:

mosey (kim) said...

LOVE both shots, Lucy. What a great pairing and I love your comment about the yin/yang of summer fun.

michel said...

nice pair lucy! i love how you chose to do a night shot! your shot is so enchanting and eerie. I love how creeped out it makes me. the night shot of the carnival is great too. most people would love to see the spinning colorful lights. I love the b&w take on it. very nice

blue elephant photography said...

lovely, i should try shooting more often at night =)

Kirstin said...

Thanks for inspiring me Lucy. I really must get out into the dark to take photos more often. Both are great pictures.

Amy said...

Wow!

urban muser said...

amazing shots, both of them. love the whole night-time experiment.

Stephanie Smith S.L. Smith Photography said...

gorgeous!

Maureen said...

love this idea of b&w night shots. ths shot of the moonlight on the water is just amazing. how interesting to shoot a carnival, full of color, in b&w. i will certainly rethink my camera's bedtime. :)

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

Both shots are great, but it is the beautiful calm of your Craigville Beach photograph that is really capturing my attention. Wonderful.

Tammy Lee Bradley said...

Yes, I think it is time to buy a tripod. :) How inspiring!

Jamie said...

Gorgeous!

Kim M said...

Hmmmm....that comment above didn't come out now did it?!!
Lucy, thanks so much for choosing my picture and for the wonderful comments. I think you explained the "feeling" of this shot better than I ever could!
Your picture has a wonderful calmness and beauty to it! I think that little green beacon adds a fantastic accidental touch!

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting. take a moment and say hi!